[orca-list] Initial Finding Re: Quantal GNOME Shell Remix

Juanjo Marin juanj.marin at juntadeandalucia.es
Wed Oct 3 12:11:25 UTC 2012

El mié, 03-10-2012 a las 04:01 -0500, Alex Midence escribió:
> Glad someone has had time to look into this release.  Abiword and
> Gnumeric, eh?  Yuck.   Wonder why they put those old things in there.
> Libreoffice is the more logical obvious choice.

Well, I think that they included those applications because they were
born in the GNOME community as part of the GNOME Office effort. After
the release of OpenOffice as free software project, the GNOME project
decided it wasn't worth to spend too much resources for developing a
GNOME Office suite, though some people like the alternative vision of
the office programs already started like Abiword and Gnumeric and they
keep contributing. Unfortunately, they aren't accessible :-(

Apart from that, _I_ guess that space constraints could be another
reason to bundle this apps instead of LibreOffice.

PS: By the way, LibreOffice/OpenOffice is older that any Linux or GNOME
piece of software. OpenOffice started off as Star Office. Star Writer
became OpenOffice Writer. A team of German programmers worked on Star
Office. The German company StarDivision in Lüneburg (founded by
16-year-old Marco Börries in 1984) wrote the original components of
StarOffice. StarDivision developed the first version of StarWriter for
the Zilog Z80 home-computer system, the Amstrad CPC (marketed by
Schneider in Germany) under CP/M, and later for the Commodore 64 under
Microsoft BASIC, which was later ported to the 8086-based Amstrad
PC-1512, running under MS-DOS 3.2. Later, the integration of the other
individual programs followed as the development progressed to an Office
Suite for DOS, IBM'S OS/2 Warp, and for the Microsoft Windows
operating-system. From this time onwards StarDivision marketed its suite
under the name "StarOffice."

excerpted from:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_the_inventor_of_open_office_writer#ixzz28EVUww87

thread about gnome-office inclusion in gnome ubuntu:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.desktop/47620

--
Juan José Marín Martínez
Tlf: 956009437 (Corp. 409437) Móvil: 671596200 (Corp. 696200)

Antes de imprimir este correo electrónico piense bien si es
necesario hacerlo: El medioambiente es cosa de todos.