(In)Accessibility of Unity in current Precise

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 10 13:22:30 UTC 2012

On 10/03/12 13:03, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Nolan Darilek<nolan at thewordnerd.info>  wrote:
>> So how do we change this?
> Assistive technology relies on automation UIs.
>
> Automated testing can use automation UIs.
>
> End-user scripting can use automation UIs.
>
> If *nix environments used automation UIs to drive testability and
> scriptability, there'd be a lot less breakage for assistive
> technology.
>
> --
> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis

funnily enough they do use the LDTP stuff for testing some bits of
Ubuntu http://ldtp.freedesktop.org/wiki/FAQ in particular ubiquity the
installer. This caused a problem last cycle because they dynamically
changed all the accessibility strings for the convenience of the test
script and left a load of junk in for the screen reader to read out.
After we pointed out how rude it was to break things like this a fix was
quickly provided that allowed both the ldtp script to work and the
screen reader to read the correct strings. The point being, it is used
in places, and I would like to encourage more uses of accessibility
technology like this. I would like to encourage the use of Orca scripts
as part of the design process, alongside the visual storyboard - it is
massively easier to write a script than it is to draw a user interface.

Alan.

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk