(In)Accessibility of Unity in current Precise

Nolan Darilek nolan at thewordnerd.info
Tue Mar 6 14:47:13 UTC 2012

Wait, you mean there's *this much breakage* in a *beta*? I thought that
betas were supposed to be more stable than less, but what you've just
described is a fucking accessibility nightmare. I don't use that sort of
language lightly on public mailing lists, but it's absolutely
infuriating how Linux for human beings is only for those humans
fortunate enough to see. The rest of us can just go away.

CCing the Unity list myself. It looks as if, should I choose to stay
with Ubuntu, I will be stuck on 11.04 again unless some major fixes land
in the 12.04 timeframe. This, of course, assumes that 12.10 won't be
just as broken for accessibility as was 12.04 and 11.10 before it. I'm
stuck on an ancient at-spi that is getting no accessibility fixes that I
know of. New Firefox versions are breaking things that worked for years,
and I doubt I'll see any fixes. At this point I'm very seriously
switching back to OS X after years of Ubuntu use. Don't get me wrong, I
love Linux and really don't like how Apple treats their developers and
users. I feel, though, that I've been patient enough for Canonical to
get it, and if free software can't meet my needs then proprietary
already does. Also, wasn't 12.04 supposed to be an LTS release? Do blind
and other disabled users not get the benefits of that?

This email brought to you by my netbook upgrade, which I guess will be
hosed. I was really hoping to discover that things more or less worked
and I could upgrade my main machine, particularly as there's a Firefox
accessibility hang that locks up my system so tight that nothing short
of a full reboot can get things back. Restarting gdm isn't even
sufficient anymore. In other words, 11.04 is no longer stable for me.
Arrowing through webpages causes focus to stick, and my machine now
hangs regularly. This is not a hardware issue, as I've seen these hangs
in the a11y subsystem for years, but I can't upgrade to the newest
at-spi and get any fixes for a problem that grows worse and worse. Even
a less stable beta would be a relief if the other non-a11y issues were
slated to be fixed before or shortly after release.