My vanishing applets

Nolan Darilek nolan at thewordnerd.info
Mon Jan 23 05:26:17 UTC 2012

I can no longer reach the applet bar and don't know what might have
changed. Running 11.04. I am aware that Unity/11.10 resolves this, but
I'm not ready to take on the other accessibility issues it introduces.

When I ctrl-alt-tab to the top bar, I can arrow between Firefox and the
system/apps/places menus. I can't reach the calendar or, most
importantly, an area to configure wireless access points. I was able to
reach this area two months or so ago, so it was possible once.

How can I find my applets again? Is it at least possible to graphically
configure my wireless? This is a rather disappointing development.