ubuntu 11.10 orca and speakup do not work together

Justin Harford blindstein at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 04:10:58 UTC 2012

Hi all

Subject says it all, I find that I cannot get orca and speakup to run at the same time on my installation of ubuntu 11.10. It's either one or the other, but never both at the same time. I can tell that both of them are running. For example now, I can hear speakup. I can confirm that orca is running because I see the start up splash thing when orca executes, I just don't hear anything.

It seems like part of my problem has to do with running pulseaudio in system mode. I downloaded the pulsesystem and pulseuser scripts, made by the vinux team, and executed the pulsesystem script in /etc/local/bin after changing its permissions to 755. I restarted the machine, and same result, orca mute, speakup running.

It seems that I am getting this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/886700

when I try to execute

espeak hello

in the gnome-terminal, which suggests that my problem might have something to do with alsa. Any ideas?

Regards
Justin Harford