Falling back to gnome-panel in Oneiric (again)

Dave Hunt ka1cey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 22:57:50 UTC 2012

Falling back to gnome panel will not fix the issues with unity or
t-bird, just be a work-around, allowing you to avoid them.  Furthermore,
the issues around thunderbird not reading the correct message summary,
trouble cursoring in the message body, and so on, are not specific to
gnome panel.  All that said, Here's how I revert to gnome panel.

sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jconti/gnome3
sudo apt-get update
nano /var/lib/AccountsService/users/dave

I look for the line containing 'XSession=', and replace 'ubuntu-2d' with
'gnome-fallback', then reboot.  The sessions, when I'm logged in as
dave, are gnome panel.

Your username will be something else.  The jconti ppa has gnome panel
applets ported to gnome 3.

YMMV,

Dave