Ringtail accessibility

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 05:00:53 UTC 2012

On 21/12/12 22:02, Andy B. wrote:
> [...]

I don't think anyone ever said that accessibility will be broken in
releases between 12.04 and 14.04. Canonical is focusing their
accessibility efforts on the LTS releases, since there are so few
resources available to work on accessibility. This doesn't mean that the
interim releases will be broken or won't be accessible. It just means
that the effort is to ensure that the LTS releases will have the best
accessibility experience. Ubuntu is open source, and anyone can
contribute to it, so there's always a chance that with more resources,
the interim releases could get more attention with respect to accessibility.

> Fair enough, but it works more or less fine in 12.10 contrary to official
> expectations, so I thought the same might be true of 13.04.
> Sorry if my response was a bit heavy-handed, but the "as has been stated
> many times" felt a bit harsh. I know what the official line is, having been
> a participant in those discussions, but not all of us are official Canonical
> people, and some of us actually want to run the bleeding edge because we
> ourselves help to create it. Also, not everyone wants to use the same
> distribution for two years in a world where things move quickly, and some of
> us are willing to tolerate a bit of breakage in exchange for that.

I didn't keep the original message, and it wasn't quoted here, but it
wasn't clear to me that the poster understood where the development
efforts would be focused. Maybe Charlie could have worded things
differently, but I didn't see his answer as being out of line or
uncalled for.

>> Please do not email me separately, I am on the mailing list, which is
>> how I saw your email in the first place.
> >
> My intent was not to email you separately, this list's default reply-to
> functionality just happens to work differently than 99% of the mailing
> lists to which I am currently subscribed. As such, I often reply rather
> than reply-to-list, which I think is the common expectation for someone
> conducting a list discussion and wanting to continue it on same.
> Even more problematic for Outlook users since there is no such thing as a
> reply to list feature, and reply to all just adds everyone's email address
> in the thread to the to field.

I'm not sure what lists y'all are on, but half of the lists I'm on
behave this way, so I always use the reply to list or reply to all
feature in my email client. The reply to all option in my email client
generally just includes the list address and the originator so it's easy
enough to delete the originators address.

IMHO, it's the responsibility of the poster to know how their email
client works and how the list is set up.

--
Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail