sources.list for upgrade to 11.04

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Sun Dec 2 17:02:02 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 10:29:47 -0600
Lenny <gervin at cableone.net> wrote:

> Hi,
> As in my last message, I am still working on upgrading my Ubuntu 10.10 to
> 11.04.
> I did the command:
> sudo do-release-upgrade
> and it had trouble getting the packages from the repositories.
> To test things, I did:
> sudo apt-get vim
> and successfully installed the text editor for editing the sources.list
> file.
> There are two lines in the first section, which looks to be for upgrades.
> Is there another line I can enter to be sure to find a mirror for the
> upgrade?
> All the lines that are not hashed out have "restricted" at the end of the
> line.
> Thanks for any help.
> Glenn

Each release of Ubuntu is supported for 18 months, except LTS, which is
3 to 5 years. Ubuntu 10.10 became unsupported as of April of 2012 when
the 12.04 release came out. As an unsupported release, the repositories
are no longer available. To upgrade, you need those repositories.
Further, Ubuntu 11.04 became unsupported in October or 2012. It also
does not repositories available for upgrade.

It is generally recommended to install a fresh version of a supported
release when such an old release is in use. The recommendation for
those needing a11y support is Ubuntu 12.04, which will be supported for
5 years.

--
Charlie Kravetz