Ubuntu server 12.04 and speakup

Bill Taylor billtlr18 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 22:41:40 UTC 2012

On 08/20/2012 07:36 AM, Greg Wocher wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am new to the list here.  I have been running Vinux in a VM
> environment.  I am taking a networking class at college now and I need
> to install ubuntu server for part of the class.  How do I get speakup
> installed and running in ubuntu server 12.04?  Ihave been looking on
> google but I can't seem to find anything.  I am just not sure what to
> be looking for
> Thank you,
> Greg Wocher

Hi Greg
the server and GUI  versions of 13.04 run the same kernel, with speakup
loaded.

To get speech in precise-server (AFTER INSTALL) you need to install
alsa-utils  first

         sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
         alsamixer            #so you can turn on sound .
                                      #you need OO under each slider
                                    # change by hitting "m".  "mm" (for
Mute) is the
                                     #only alternative to "OO"

         sudo apt-get install espeakup -y
         modprobe speakup_soft start=1
         sh /etc/init.d/espeakup start

I find that I have to start speech manually each time, so to fix that
use tour favourite editor (nano in my case)

          sudo nano /etc/modules         #add the line

         speakup_soft start=1

#save and restart . It should come up talking.

Installing precise - server will need sighted assisance. I have done
many installs and reinstalls in an attempt to come up with documentation
that could step VIP's through it, but there are many alternatives,
depending on previous choices.
I was hoping that accepting defaults would work, using the entire hard
drive, then patching time zone, host name , Keyboard and so on once
speech was running.
I have assisted one person , speaking on mangler, and him sending me
photo's of his screen via Dropbox. (We do have a common folder)

Speech for the install would be handy, there are a few users working on
it, but no joy yet.
maybe one day someone with some knowledge will have time to have a look.

bill