A little bug, Shutdown menu doesn't work in Unity Greeter

Hammer Attila hammera at pickup.hu
Fri Apr 27 11:26:26 UTC 2012

Hy,

Possible everybody already known, Unity Greeter presenting awailable
indicators in the login screen.
If an user press F10 key, land the devicemenu indicator, with usual have
following menu items:
1. Suspend.
2. Shut down.

I found a little bug, with I don't no what the proper component with
need reporting:
If an user press ENTER key the shut down menu item, nothing happening,
the machine is not shutdown, suspend works right. The user this
situation land back the Unity Greeter screen.
Why happening this issue?
The answer is very simple, because the Lightdm user not setted with
com.canonical.indicator.session suppress-logout-restart-shutdown
GSettings key with true value.
This GSettings key determining if an user choosing the devicemenu
indicator with shutdown, restart or logout menu items, happening a
confirmation dialog presenting or not before happening the real
operation. If this GSettings value is false, the confirmation dialog is
presenting, but this is not happening in Unity Greeter.
You easy to verify this value with LightDm user with following commands,
and possible changing temporary with this setting to true value if you
want work the shutdown menu item in Unity Greeter until this bug is not
fixed:
1. Verify actual value in terminal with following command:
sudo -u lightdm dbus-launch --exit-with-session gsettings get
com.canonical.indicator.session suppress-logout-restart-shutdown
If the returned value is false, do next step.
2. Setting the required true value to work shutdown menu in Unity Greeter:
sudo -u lightdm dbus-launch --exit-with-session gsettings set
com.canonical.indicator.session suppress-logout-restart-shutdown true
3. If you want, do the first step to verify the change is happened right.
After this, you need logging out if you want testing the new change. My
machine if I click shutdown menu, the system shutdowning right in Unity
Greeter too.

Attila