Tales of 2d Unity

Dave Hunt ka1cey at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 21:44:14 UTC 2012

Hi,

I did some playing with a flash drive installation of Ubuntu 12.04, as
released on 05-April, and had the best Unity-2d session yet, though did
manage to crash the shell 3 times.  With each shell crash, I could have
the shell automatically relaunch.  All crashes are reported in launchpad.

When my system starts, it automatically logs in as the user Ubuntu.  Orca
is supposed to start on login, but this does not seem to happen, though,
perhaps, it is attempted?  I always have to start Orca manually, after
waiting for the complete desktop to be present.  When Orca is fully
running, I discover that the shell had crashed, and have the bug report
form available, with the 'close' and 'relaunch' buttons.  When I hit
'relaunch, I can use the pre-loaded browser to fill the form, and
continue.  From this point, the shell restarts, and appears to run as
expected.  That is, I have access to the menus at all times, The dash and
launcher seem to keep wirking.  I even added some items to the launcher,
and their shortcuts persist.  I tried to use the heads-up display to find
something on my hard drive, which is mounted in the '/media' directory,
(confirmed by directory listing in terminal).  I believe a single press
and release of the 'alt' key is how one is supposed to do this?  It
resulted in a Unity shell crash, again, filed, using aport, and launchpad.
The Unity shell relaunched and was usable, again, until I shut the system
down normally.

My experience with browsing attempts in the hud does lead me to another
question.  In my installed Trisquel system, I have a 'network' place, that
shows me the other machines on my local network, and lets me login, using
sftp.  I get a nice Nautilus display of the directories I'm allowed to
see, with cut, copy, paste, and so on, options, as if these sites were
local folders.  I've never found a way to see these things in Unity, past
or present.  Anyone know how to do this?

I'm not sure whether I'm ready to turn this machine into a pangalin just
yet, but I'm feeling a lot better about Unity-2d than I did yesterday at
this time.  A switch may be the easiest and best way to keep my
accessibility stack current.  Trisquel's 6 months behind, though, solid.
Maybe I can run Classic Gnome, in 12.04, and have the best option?

Cheers,

Dave