Be carefuly, don't install latest python-pyatspi2 related update, because Orca unable to import pyatspi module after installation

Hammer Attila hammera at pickup.hu
Wed Apr 4 12:18:17 UTC 2012

Hy José,

Very sorry the confirmation.
Unfortunately the workaround is little difficult and not elegant.
I doed following commands in a live system to verify the package build,
you use own risk your installed system:
1. sudo apt-get install devscripts
2. sudo apt-get build-dep python-pyatspi2.
3. cd /usr/src
4. sudo apt-get source python-pyatspi2
5. sudo cd the pyatspi related directory.
6. sudo debuild
7. sudo cd debian/tmp
8. sudo cp -r usr /
9. Verify orca -v command result. If not have pyatspi related traceback,
all works right again.

Of course, the cp related command you possible give other place. For
example if you mounted your root partition, you need replace the / path
with correct mount point if you not working your installed system.
If this is the case and you would like verify possible importing the
pyatspi related modules, you need chrooting your installed system, and
run orca -v command or run simple python code after you launched python:
import pyatspi
If you not get traceback error messages, all works right.

If not have you a braille display and not possible to work in console
your installed system, need sighted assistance all task, except you not
using with speakup.

Summary, I don't no why, but the buggy python-pyatspi2 package not
installed python bindings with correct
usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pyatspi folder.

Attila