My Trouble Starting Ubuntu 12.04?

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Mon Apr 2 21:41:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2 Apr 2012 17:15:07 -0400 (EDT)
Dave Hunt <ka1cey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think the system was booting when I used the unetbootin method, but the
> thing was acting as if I'd done an install from the cd to a flash drive,
> and by-passed the special session from which I could install.  It brought
> me into a session with Unity 3d, and I could, sometimes, start orca.
>
> Per your suggestion, I jusd did a 'dd' to put the image onto my flash
> drive.  The resulting system has no persistent space but boots.  I get the
> drums sound, I hit
> 'ctrl+s', get orca, and hit 'try Ubuntu.  I start orca in this session.  I
> log out, then hit 'ctrl+s'.  I can go to this session selector and get
> into
> Unity 2d this way.  This Unity 2d session ran for about 5 minutes, then
> the Unity Service Panel applet crashed, taking all the menus with it, and
> leaving me with a system where I couldn't even switch apps with 'alt+tab'.
> Assuming I ever get a sysgem that has reliable accessibility, and no
> components crash, can I install this to my hard drive, leaving my user
> data in place?  If, for instance, I choose the 'advanced' option in the
> installer, can I just tell the insaller to not format the partitions?  If
> I choose the same username I use with Trisquel 5.5, will my stuff be there
> when I login?  I've already backed up the files of interest to another
> machine on my home network.
>

> Cheers,
>

> Dave

When you install to the hard drive, you will no longer have the "try
Ubuntu" choice, and the drums will not play. What we really need is a
system sound to tell us the desktop is there now. And, of course, Orca
reliable enough to work every time. I think Luke is working is that,
but it gets to be a difficult thing when the main team is doing things
like making sure no sound can play at login.

As for keeping /home from Trisquel 5.5, I am hoping someone jumps in
with the right answer. I am not familiar enough with it to say yes or
no.

- --
Charlie Kravetz