Initial impressions of 11.10

Nolan Darilek nolan at thewordnerd.info
Sun Oct 16 03:46:06 UTC 2011

Just slapped this onto an old netbook I'm trying to revive. Here are my
initial impressions.

I love the new way to run accessibility on the live CD. Great! I just
wish it also worked from the instance that gets run when you choose to
try without installing. Running manually works, but consistency would rule.

Had some issues with the install, but those weren't accessibility related.

My new installation didn't come up talking. I had to run Orca manually,
enable accessibility and log back out and in. My expectation was that
it'd come up talking as soon as I logged in.

Along similar lines, Orca doesn't run automatically. I have to start it
manually. This despite my impression that the screen reader toggle in
the accessibility settings screen is enabled. I can't seem to find a
"Run Orca on startup" option in Orca's preferences anymore.

Unity seems quite keyboard accessible. Going to need time to get used to
the many new commands.

My timezone is incorrect and I can't figure out how to reset it. In Time
and Date I see a text area containing the location New York, but I can't
figure a way to set this to anything local to me. I tried entering
"Chicago" since that's usually the timezone I choose, but that doesn't
seem to take.

Lots of widgets seem to be misrepresented as checkboxes. In particular,
many menu items appear this way.

I'm not clear on how to navigate some of the panels in Unity 2D. They're
also said to be inaccessible even though I did get some feedback from
Orca at one point.

All notifications speak "Notification: notify-osd". I have to look at
.cache/notify-osd.log to see what I missed.

While this is a long list of negatives, I'm quite impressed at how
accessible things are after such a major change. I probably won't put
11.10 on my main machine for now, but I'm enjoying playing with it on
the netbook.