Ubuntu 11.10, Unity, and Compiz eZoom

Robert Cole rkcole72984 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 20:54:10 UTC 2011

Hello again.

I was unsure as to whether or not I should create a new thread or
follow-up on this one, so I decided to play it safe and follow-up.

I installed gnome-shell in my virtual machine (Ubuntu 11.10).

At the login screen, I was presented with session options for GNOME,
Classic GNOME, Classic GNOME (No Effects), Ubuntu, and Ubuntu2D.

it seems that I cannot use screen magnification in GNOME or Classic
GNOME. It did not even seem as though Compiz was running (I am not sure
how to confirm this). However, when I run "compiz --replace" in the Run
Applications dialog, the Unity dock appears and zooming seems to work
(with the exception of the Unity dock).

I'm a bit distraught as I have no idea what to do.

Thanks for any suggestions and input.