Menus not speaking in Oneiric

Dave Hunt ka1cey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 22:35:38 UTC 2011

Hi

Most times, in most applications, Orca will not read the menus, whether
activated by a press of 'f10', or by hitting a shortcut that should
activate a menu.  For instance, in Firefox, if I use 'f10', Orca says
"file label", but, moving the cursor up or down is silent.  The restof
the top row will speak, for instance "edit lable", "view label"...  When
I get to the Unity menus, such as "session", orca says nothing.  Note,
from my subject, this stuff is, sometimes, spoken and working as it
should.  I am using the Orca that is supplied on the Oneiric
installation 32-bit desktop live cd.  I have added the Extra A11y ppa to
my sources.  Following this, I updated my system with:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

What else do I need to do in order to enable this accessibility?  Note:
I did the installation by enabling speech when the cd started, so,
should be running Unity 2d?

Thanks for your help,

Dave  Hunt