Accessibility of installer in 11.10

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Nov 27 22:21:51 UTC 2011

Most of the time your best bet will be to get a good ks.cfg file and use
that to install ubuntu rather than trying to muck around with the
installers.  Those are available on the web specifically for ubuntu too.
 The problem with ks.cfg or kickstart is that it's not documented well
so getting ubuntu to find your ks.cfg file on a floppy disk inserted
into what would be a: in dos or /dev/fd0 or /floppy in Linux depending
on aliases in place might be a bit difficult.  If a system has
accessibility one could put a line like aplay
/usr/share/sounds/login.wav in the %post% section of the ks.cfg file
which tells the system to play a sound file so you know it's finished
installing the software.  Then you could remove the floppy reboot the
system and say hit control-s and log in after that.
The thing with a ks.cfg file is you get the file to answer all questions
the ubuntu installer will ask ahead of time, so when it works it's a
stick disk in machine turn the machine on and forget about the machine
for a couple  hours while everything installs and then your sound file
plays.  Nice thing about ks.cfg files is that anyone with an ascii text
editor can make one if you get the format right and put a valid ubuntu
mirror url into it to go and install the system's updates after
everything on the live-cd or live-dvd gets installed by the ks.cfg file.
 It takes a little more study, but then you don't always have to be
hampered by less than perfect accessibility in the installer.