Accessibility of the Ubuntu Software Center in Oneiric Ocelot

Gregory Lopez glpzstl at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 02:24:29 UTC 2011

I have a slightly customized USB key that I configured with a version of the
live CD, which after booting up (and hitting the volume up key on the
keyboard to raise the volume to the max), I press Ctrl-S, then Alt-F2, then
Esc, then Alt-F2 again and type 'orca' and hit enter to start the setup
process for Orca. After doing the steps required, I logout of the session,
which then starts the auto login process, and I repeat the steps again, but
with Orca coming up speaking this time. Next, I hit the Win key, and type
'Access' and get the Universal Access settings dialog. I tap the screen
reader button in the dialog, then close it... (I have persistence enabled on
the USB key, so I only needed to do those steps once). Then I do the install
of Ubuntu as normal, and repeat the accessibility steps again on the newly
minted system, and also do some updates and installs from the command line.
Finally, I logout and hit Tab, then enter, and down arrow twice, pressing
Enter, and Shift-Tab back once and type in my password to get the more
accessible interface of Unity.

As for the Software Center, what works for me is:

1. If I select a .deb package on my system, the Software Center comes up and
allows me to tab to the install button and start the install process,
including typing in my password for sudo

What doesn't work (and my experiences):

1. Trying to type in the search box won't speak, and will lock my system up,
causing me to force quit the app
2. No lists are spoken, but if I can guess the item name, an Enter will
bring up the item page, which is accessible for the most part (similar to
installing a .deb package)

Otherwise, I've been so frustrated with the Software Center, I haven't
attempted to use any other features it offers until I can find a workaround.

Gregory Lopez
---
Email: glpzstl at gmail.com
Google Talk: glpzstl at gmail.com