Accessibility of Ubuntu 11.04

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Wed May 25 15:45:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011 12:39:56 -0300
José Vilmar Estácio de Souza <vilmar at informal.com.br> wrote:

> Hi, Orca works with Unity as well, although there are some problems with
> accessibility that are already being addressed.
> Thanks.
>
> On 05/25/2011 12:29 PM, bernhard.stadelmayer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As you probably know, Ubuntu 11.04 has been released with a new Desktop
> > called Unity. I tested the major versions of Ubuntu if they are working
> > probably on my system and what features are supported by Orca. But now,
> > I'm not sure if there's something like Orca in this new Desktop. Could
> > someone tell me if there's a Screenreader in Unity? If so, are there
> > also translations of the user interface in other languages like German?
> >
> > Thanks for your help,
> >
> > Bernhard

We intentionally made the default installation with the screen-reader
(Orca) classic-session for Ubuntu 11.04. Since there are still several
issues that need to be fixed in Unity, this was an intentional decision
to insure that visually impaired users would have a working desktop.
Unity is mostly about looks, and looks do not function well with a
screen-reader. If you do install orca and run it in unity, please be
aware you will have issues with it.

--
Charlie Kravetz