Missing tooltips for icon labelled panel applets in classic GNOME session?

Hammer Attila hammera at pickup.hu
Wed Mar 30 06:38:57 UTC 2011

Hy,

I using Natty live CD for classic GNOME session.
I see an interesting think, with I don't no possible resolving or not,
or how can possible resolving, I would like ask your hint:
Longer time known issue, some panel applets not have accessible
descriptions (for example network manager icon in the top panel,
keyboard layout indicator), this situation need pressing Orca+F1 key
combination to listen the panel applet tooltip message (not have network
connection, vired connection auto eth0 is active, etc), this is not
problem prewious, because Orca+F1 keystroke spokened the textual
tooltips with this icon labelled panel applets.
Now, when I press Orca+F1 keystroke this icon labelled panel applets,
Orca not spokening any tooltips this panel applets. Missing this
tooltips, removed this tooltips, or why happening this?
When I generated a modifyed live CD, I simple copyed my original Lucid
system good working .gconf folder in /etc/skel folder, of course I
applied required Natty specific synchronisations. Perhaps I mistake, or
this is an upstream bug for this panel applets?

In my Lucid system all icon labelled panel applets have tooltips, and
Maverick I not remember this issue.

Another interesting issue, I using Window Chooser panel applet the
bottom panel. Prewious when I landing the Window Chooser panel applet, I
hear right textual name for this panel applet. Now, I hear "Vnck-applet"
name. Similar problem have the "Trash" panel applet, now I hear
"Trashapplet" name.

I no, general Ubuntu configuration have limited applets for top and
bottom panels. My customizations are bad?
Possible easy resolving this missing panel applet tooltips problem for
Natty?

Attila