Lubuntu and Accessibility

frederik.gladhorn at nokia.com frederik.gladhorn at nokia.com
Mon Jun 6 20:05:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Jun 6, 2011, at 3:42 AM, ext Alex Midence wrote:
> I seem to recall that Klaus Knopix is reputed to have had some success
> making LXDE accessible in his Knopix Adrienne distribution.   Perhaps
> that is something that could be used as reference?  As for
> python-related slowness in Orca, I would tend to agree.  C is just
> faster than Python.  Interpreted languages are going to require far
> more memory and resources than compiled ones in many cases.
>
> Actually, a saner thing would be an implementation of orca written in
> both C or c++ and Python.  The low-level code in c and the more
> scriptable areas in Python.  This is what NVDA's devs did and it's a
> slighning fast screen reader on a bloated system like Windows.  While
> we're wishing, I'll go ahead and wish for iaccessible2 support instead
> of complete and exclusive reliance on at-spi/at-spi2 so that more
> widget toolkits might become accessible since some of them do support
> iaccessible2 but not at-spi.

the APIs of IAccessible2 and at-spi2 are very similar.
Their big difference is the implementation. IAccessible2 (based on MSAA) uses Windows COM for inter process communication.
at-spi2 uses dbus.

That means having IAccessible2 on Linux doesn't make much sense. And implementing it using DBus you end up with exactly at-spi2.
Please don't propose solutions that simply don't match the problem.

Instead of speculating about performance we should use profiling tools to see where the performance lags.
I suspect DBus is a large part of it. And the way we use DBus is used is another big issue. Python may or may not play a role.

Greetings,
Frederik