ubuntu Sound Issues with Early 2000's Dell Desktop

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Jul 27 13:09:22 UTC 2011

	I wrote the list and corresponded with a few off list a
few weeks ago about how the sound is dead on a 2004-vintage Dell
tower system which otherwise is in working order and has 1.1
gigabytes of RAM and a 2.7 gigabyte Pentium 4 processor. In
other words, no good reason to not work.

	The sound system works on older distributions such as
the Vinux2.x distribution from 2009 and I even got orca to
intermittently talk from ubuntu9.10, but everything current and
useful is as mute as a stone.

	If I were to install ubuntu 11.04 via a serial console,
would this give me the same operating environment for sound that
I get from all those dead live CD's such as the latest Vinux3.2
and ubuntu11.04?

	I would then be able to poke and prod and maybe find out
what is not being enabled for sound to work. The sound card
shows that it is on and the volume is set to an appropriate
value. One simply never hears anything either sounds from the
booting process or the screen reader. There is not so much as a
pop from the speakers.

	My deer patient wife can only stand just so much of
looking at the kind of screens that tell us useful things about
loafing sound systems, etc.

	I might have to install pulseaudio manually on such a
system, but if it is true to form from the live CD, it will
install and just not do anything.

	Except for the first audio experiments in Linux about
ten years ago, this has been pure frustration. Everything works
if it is obsolete but not now on the good stuff.

	That system will scream along if I ever get sound.

Thanks for any tips.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer