draft for Friends of GNOME campaign

Eric Oyen eric.oyen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 08:59:29 UTC 2011

thanks for the suggestion of some input.

I won't make this a testimonyl as there are still problems with gnome 3.

the older gnome 2.x works well with orca and that is still used in vinuxproject.org. any attempt for me to use gnome 3 has resulted in inconsistent results (with the end result that some of the screen elements are invisible to me).

as of this writing, I am using vinux 3.01 (based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS) as that is the most reliable (stable) version. making such radical changes to gnome without considering that may break accessibility was a poor move on the part of the gnome project devs.  I know that there is a new project called unity desktop (that is supposed to look a lot like the OS X cocoa interface), but it is so new that it doesn't entirely work with orca (which I depend on totally as I am totally blind).

anyway, all that being said, I still would prefer using either OS X (apple with voiceover) or ORCA (in vinux) more than I would any version of windows (I still use that on occasion with NVDA). unfortunately, I don't have the income necessary to upgrade my hardware to some windows 7 compliance nor would I have any spare income for the $1,000+ pricetag for windows accessibility (first year SMA + initial cost of JAWS for $850).

up until this last year, I was able to function as a system administrator with low vision. 15 months ago I finally lost all eyesight and have had to request VR services in order to get retrained to better operate in an IT environment. so far, I am still waiting for the state of Arizona to get on with it.

-eric