run-as-root applications and Unity/gnome3

Zandre Bran zandrebran at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 6 20:35:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Dave Hunt <ka1cey at gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi Dave. I'm send copy for list the ubuntu accessibility.

> What am I missing, here?  Are you saying we'll have an accessible synaptic
> by turn ing the accessibility off?

    Definitely not. There is a bug in synaptic active with the orca. See:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/synaptic/+bug/607605

    But this can be bypassed easily. Loaded with Orca, simply uncheck
the option to accessibility in the dconf during loading of synaptic.
After re-check option accessibility in the dconf. Orca begin speaking
for synaptic. Please, check:

# file: syp.sh

# force crash synaptic, but add password sudo in cache. because you
must enter the password with the toolkit-accessibility enabled.
gksu synaptic
# uncheck accessibility
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface toolkit-accessibility false
# wait 1 sec
sleep 1
# call synaptic in background
gksu synaptic &
# waiting 3 secs.
sleep 3
#re-check accessibility
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface toolkit-accessibility true
# ok, orca begin speaking for synaptic

> Something lost in translation,

    Maybe, but understand now?

    Do you have another way to do this?