Menus not speaking in Oneiric

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 1 01:49:34 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 09:35:38AM EST, Dave Hunt wrote:
> Hi
>
> Most times, in most applications, Orca will not read the menus,
> whether activated by a press of 'f10', or by hitting a shortcut that
> should activate a menu.  For instance, in Firefox, if I use 'f10',
> Orca says "file label", but, moving the cursor up or down is silent.
> The restof the top row will speak, for instance "edit lable", "view
> label"...  When I get to the Unity menus, such as "session", orca
> says nothing.  Note, from my subject, this stuff is, sometimes,
> spoken and working as it should.

Unfrotunately this is a known bug, that is unlikely to be fixed in oneiric. I've been looking at this myself, and I think the problem is that the way the top unity panel/menu deals with menus in the accessibility space is not entirely correct, so that code needs reworking.

My intension is to get this done for precise.

Luke