embedded text to speech converter

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:32:02 UTC 2011

Sounds like my main problem with OpenMary is that I'm using openjdk-jre
instead of sun-java6-jre. I'll try again with sun-java6-jre installed to
see if that solves the problem.

The requirement of sun-java6-jre may be a little too much on an embedded
system where the OP plans to use it though, unless the remote server is
an option. But usually it is unwise to require a connection to a network
in order to get speech. In this case, eSpeak and SVox Pico are the
smallest and best options, as they use much less memory and are both
already supported by speech-dispatcher. Flite is another option for
low-memory systems, but the speech-dispatcher module for it only works
with the worst sounding voice. There are 3 or 4 other better voices that
can be selected from the command line, but they don't work with
speech-dispatcher's flite module for some reason.
~Kyle