embedded text to speech converter

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Sat Apr 2 07:12:49 UTC 2011

On 02/04/11 08:07, Bhavani Shankar R wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I am working for a company called mindtree and developing assistive
> technology for cerebral palsy affected people as a part of my job with
> the company[1]. I am presently developing a low cost product with the
> team members on porting tts software on a tablet which runs ubuntu. So
> I needed to know that is there any TTS software which runs on ubuntu
> on a embedded platform preferably based on QT
>
> Waiting for your comments and responses,
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> [1] http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/companies/article1487056.ece
>
> --
> Bhavani Shankar
> Ubuntu Developer       | www.ubuntu.com <http://www.ubuntu.com/>
> https://launchpad.net/~bhavi <https://launchpad.net/%7Ebhavi>
Hi Bhavani,

the speech dispatcher framework is used to give a consistent API to
several text to speech engines, from a command line you can run
$  spd-say "hello world"
and it should speak that using the espeak engine which is included by
default. This is a bit of a mechanical voice but it does not use a lot
of resources. There are better quality voices around, openMary is one of
the best I have found. That one lacks a speech dispatcher plugin at the
moment though.

Alan.