strange problem with orca in 10.04 PPC version

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 27 13:41:39 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 05:37:22AM EDT, Eric Oyen wrote:
> hello,
> I have decided to take my powerbook G3 (lombard or "bronze keyboard") into the world of linux because I cannot get OS X to upgrade to the point where voiceover would be of use to me (I happen to be blind and need speech).

I suggest that it may be best that you use Ubuntu 10.04, as it is a long term support releases. You can get the powerpc version from here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ports/releases/lucid/release/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-powerpc.iso. You will need a 700MB CD to burn it onto, as the iso is 694MB.

Once burnt, insert it into the powerbook, and reboot from CD by holding down the C key while the machine boots. Give the machine 20 seconds to get started from the CD, and then type:

live access=v3

This should boot the CD with speech enabled. This is different to other methods documented on the internet, because the pwoerpc CD boot process is very different from i386/amd64. If you have any questions, plesae feel free to reply and ask.

Luke