Accessibility Troubles with GUI Admin Apps in Maverick

Paul Hunt huntp at ukonline.co.uk
Wed Oct 13 19:37:08 BST 2010

Hi Dave,

I'm guessing you didn't install using the blindness profile?

If you don't then you are missing a file that is needed in order to
allow Orca to read admin apps.

It is called a11y-sudo and needs to be in the directory /etc/sudoers.d

To create it;

1. open gnome-terminal

2. change to root with the command sudo -i

3. Change to the directory we need with cd /etc/sudoers.d

4. Start the nano editor with a new file called a11y-sudo with the
command nano a11y-sudo

5. Enter the following line precisely as written below

Defaults        env_keep = "ORBIT_SOCKETDIR XDG_SESSION_COOKIE GTK_MODULES"

Note that capitalisation needs to be correct here and in case it wraps
in the email it is only one line.

6. Press control +o and then enter to write out the file.  Then control
+ x to exit nano.

7. type chmod 0440 a11y-sudo

This is to ensure that the file permissions are correct.

8. Type exit to get out of the root shell.

Admin apps should now be accessible.

Please note that it is essential to type the contents of the a11y-sudo
file properly and to set the permissions or you will break sudo altogether.

HTH
Paul