disabilities

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Tue May 25 09:25:21 BST 2010

Hi.
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:52:59AM +0100, Bruno Girin wrote:
<snip>

> how well (or not) they are followed by web site designers. My experience
> in the industry is that there are very few designers who are aware of
> standards and why they should be followed. And even when they are aware
> of accessibility standards, they don't understand them well enough to
> argue the case for following them, especially when it is perceived that
> following the standards will increase the development cost. I constantly
> face this problem in my day job: every time I need to write
> specifications for a new web based system, I include accessibility
> guidelines and invariably I get answers like "that will increase the
> cost by X" or "that will delay delivery by Y" when it's not an outright
> "we can't do that".

One point you might want to mention when they start talking about cost is that if I can't use the
web site I'll ve forced to call and talk to a person to get what I want.
Which has a lower cost, making the site accessible or paying someone to answer the phone?
I don't have any data to know the answer.  Hopefully, someone has done such studys.

          Kenny