Input method for users who can only operate (press/control/click) 1(or limited number of) key(s)

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Mon May 24 16:34:59 BST 2010

On Mon, 24 May 2010, Carlos Mayans wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> this is my the first time I write to the list, so first of all my name is
> Carlos, I am from Spain and I have been working with people with different
> types of disabilities in Kolkata India for almost two years, mainly deaf and
> kids with cerebrl palsy.
>
> I was little surprised I couldn't find any software to work as an only 1 key
> input methods. This could be easily programmed, I am a software developer
> myself, but I have absolutely no idea if there are already people working on
> it, or anything related to this.

I know of Dasher, which I've not tried on Linux:
http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/dasher/

The book Beautiful Code (not here at the moment) has a chapter on the
system Stephen Hawking uses, which is open source, but when I went to
the site mentioned in the book the code had vanished.  Maybe someone
else knows whether it has moved or just died.
Chapter 30 When a Button Is All That Connects You to the World
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510046#toc

There is also software out there which allows communication with a text
interface using extended morse code, which may or may not be applicable.
There is this:
http://morseall.org/

and there was the morse 2000 project, but this seems to have only left
traces on the net.

> Sorry if this issue has already been discussed before, and thank you in
> advance for your advices.
>
> Regards,
> Carlos.

        HTH