VEDICS Speech Assistant

Nischal Rao rao.nischal at gmail.com
Fri May 21 16:04:37 BST 2010

Hi,

I and some of my friends have created a speech assistant software for linux
called VEDICS(Voice Enabled Desktop Interaction and Control System). Using
this software the user can access any element found on the user's screen
through speech. The user can also navigate the filesystem through speech.

We have created some demo screencasts of the software:

1. Accessing the gnome panel and application.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrVaJXtv0WU

2. Changing the theme and background.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRgX94qGj3g

3. Navigating directories and playing songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVQwAoeIavk

4. Running a slide show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtzA8TFwvuI

5. Running default applications and window operations:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEANbu8p50

6. Stopping and starting vedics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLFtdrlt3lM

7. Creating and deleting files:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3CFAl22h2o

8. Navigating links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AufBaaJazKU

Currently the software doesn't support the dictation facility. However, we
are planning to add this feature in the future.
The best part of this software is that it is speaker independent, no
training is required and it can recognize words not present in the English
dictionary.

Currently it works well on ubuntu 9.10 and ubuntu 10.04

You can find the source code at : http://sourceforge.net/projects/vedics/

--
regards,
Nischal E Rao