firefox 3.6 under lucid

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 31 23:25:27 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:08:35AM EST, Jacob Schmude wrote:

> Look, I don't mean to offend, but you do realize what things like this
> do to the impression of Ubuntu's accessibility and the commitment the
> Ubuntu team supposedly has to it? They're not even willing to take steps
> to fix Firefox for accessibility. The web browser, a core program we *need*.

May I suggest that if anyone wants to push Canonical to focus on more accessibility, then you need to tell them. I can only do so much, and as part of my job, I do as much as I damn well can.

Please also bare in mind there is a development process to follow, and especially for a long term support release, we need to be very clear cut about when we stop accepting new upstream versions of a package. Because my duties are not all working on accessibility, I can only do so much to try and get things to the latest version, and even I miss things from time to time, particularly if they are only mentioned on a mailing list.

I am happy to go through with people, to explain how the development release process works, but you have to realise there is a lot more at stake than just accessibility when updating big packages, particularly this late in the release.

I would love to work on accessibility more than I do now, however I have other important duties, and I think the only way things can change is if the people who care about accessibility other than myself, make it known to Canonical that they feel accessibility is important.

Oh and no offence taken.

Luke