Reworking the Accessibility Team Wiki

Francesco Fumanti francesco.fumanti at gmx.net
Sat Jun 5 17:28:31 BST 2010

Hi,

What about creating a page that has an overview of the accessibility tools and features with different informations for each tool. Let me for example start myself with a few points:

Pointer only users: onboard is an onscreen keyboard for pointer-only users; it is available out of the box in ubuntu; it is available during login, and the desktop session; todo: convince ubuntu to not hide its desktop files by default in the desktop session.

Dwelling: available out of the box in ubuntu in the Mouse control panel; todo: it is not possible for a dwell user to activate it by himself during login (a  patch is waiting to be accepted to solve this in upstream GNOME); it is not possible for a dwell user to activate it by himself in the desktop session until someone has installed the dwell applet on the gnome panel.

Switch access: there is no solution out of the box; gok is an onscreen keyboard for switch access; it is available in universe; I do not know how stable it is.

Such an overview page would in my opinion be useful not only for the public who is looking for an accessible distribution, but also for the Ubuntu developers so they have a reference about what is available and more important, what is still missing in their distribution.

It however only make sense if it has a maintainer that keeps it up to date and this person will probably have to remain in contact with the different developers...

Cheers

Francesco