Sound issues 10.04

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 26 00:47:04 GMT 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 11:32:29AM EST, Thomas Lloyd wrote:
> Just got 10.04 running in a virtual machine. I have some sound output
> issues, which is a big stumbling block. The sound under wine seem to
> drop out for about one second and then cut back in. I am using this for
> tts generation so if you can imagine that I am getting "This a test of
> the open-sapi server". Instead of "This is a test of the open-sapi
> server". Always about one seond in it seems to skip the audio output.

Wine + pulse audio output is a known bug, and one that people from the wine community, and I think pulse are trying to solve, with little success so far. Someone wrote a native pulseaudio output driver for wine, however users who have tested it have reported mixed results.

You could consider piping the audio to a file and playing it in the native linux environment, but what would be better is if opensapi could use speech-dispatcher's audio output routines. I am not sure what language opensapi is written in, but if its c, then you just need to link against libspdaudio somehow, however header files for doing so are not provided in the speech-dispatcher packages, only the source. This is something I intend to address.

Luke