Fall-back Synthesizer

Dave Hunt dave.hunt2 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 12 20:34:12 GMT 2010

When running Lucid, I suggest you install at least one other synth
module besides the default Espeak, since it can crash.  My choice is
flite, since it's small, available in the repositories, and free.  At
least, you can continue working after Espeak crashes.  Note that, after
you've installed your fall-back module, you need to uncomment the
appropriate line in "/etc/speech-dispatcher/speehd.conf".  Restart orca
and speech dispatcher.  You're now good to go.  To install flite and its
speech dispatcher back-end, do:

/sudo apt-get install flite speech-dispatcher-flite
/

HTH,

Dave Hunt