Accessible install and Vinux?

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 1 18:59:33 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 07:27:58AM PST, Bill Cox wrote:
> I think Lucid is on track to be a fabulous distro for accessibility.
> I'm working on a Vinux ISO based on Ubuntu Lucid, and I'm pretty
> excited about it.
>
> However, even better than having a separate ISO would be having a
> Vinux-like install option.  Is there any chance that the we Vinux guys
> could work with the Luke and the Ubuntu accessibility guys on adding a
> bunch of cool accessibility stuff automatically when an accessible
> install is selected?  In particular, a more accessible desktop
> environment (different /etc/skel), and speakup support would be a huge
> improvement for an accessible install, IMO.

It is certainly possible, but you need to give me a list of what you would like to see implemented. However, speakup is a no go, as that requires introducing extra packages to the CD, which atkes up space which is already at a premium. There is also the issue of supporting the speakup code, i.e Canonical support/security making sure its supportable, and security updates are easy to release. I personally feel rather uncomfortable with trying to introduce speakup at this late stage of the lucid cycle, maybe for lucid+1, if the speakup code is clean and performs well enough.

For everything else, just fire away with a list of features, and I will see what I can do for you.

BTW I am the only person working on Ubuntu accessibility, elp is always welcome if you wish to offer it. :)

Luke