Festival in 10.4 ubuntu

Maurice McCarthy manselton at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 09:41:33 BST 2010

Steve,

Sorry I didn't notice that I'd replied to you personally instead of to
the list. And I'm even more sorry that I'm now stumped as to what the
answer might be. For sound output I have Altec Lansing speakers. The
volume has to be physically turned up on a knob but usually I use a
head set to avoid disturbing my wife. The headset has to be selected
in

System - Preferences - Sound - Output

and the volume set. I installed festival and ran a --tts command and
yet it played through the speakers. I presume this means that it
bypasses the pulse audio system.

It is a shot in the dark but have you tried running the command

$ sudo restorespeech ?

I'm trying to attach the script here. It comes with Vinux 3 but I
don't think it is part of the normal Ubuntu 10.04. Put a copy in
/usr/bin/ and chmod 0766 to use it. Parts of the script call programs
requiring root privileges to run. However, as you already have sound a
root then it may not work.

Good Luck
Maurice

--