Question about Kernels

Michael Cross michaelrcross66 at austin.rr.com
Sat Aug 14 22:24:27 BST 2010

I recently got Vinux 3 installed on Ubuntu 10. After making some
adjustments such as disabling screen savers and setting sleep and hybrid
modes to "never", everything seems to be working well. I am worried
about Ubuntu updates. I do not know how disruptive they are to
accessibility. Is there a way to put a lock on the kernel you currently
have? I want to avoid being updated to a more aggressive, less stable
kernel. I do not want to be constantly recovering from problems caused
by updates.
Please recommend a conservative update strategy. For instance, how do I
disable automatic updates? I would prefer to be notified that updates
are available, but not be forced to install them until I am ready.
Any advice will be much appreciated.

Michael Cross