No subject

Sun Apr 25 13:48:26 BST 2010

basic shell is launched after several modues nd devices fail to load.  Ther=
e's no log-in so I presume the users aren't being initialized.  help age a =
long list of commands that appear to be standard shell commands "cat=2C mou=
nt=2C umount=2C &c).

Before I do anything drastic=2C is there a way to recover?  from the basic =
shell=2C can i remount my root an home partitions and either re-start or co=
ntinue the installation process?  or is there at least a way to capture the=
 messages (or any other relevant information) say to a text file on a USB s=
tick?

thanks in advance for any suggestions. 		 	   		 =20
The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hot=
mail.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=3Dmultiaccount&ocid=3DP=
ID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4=

--_fe662fa0-7825-4db6-9359-705b5bf55fe9_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Greetings=2C<br>I seem to have run into trouble upgrading from Ubuntu8.04 t=
o Ubuntu10.04.&nbsp=3B The other night=2C I figured I would try the upgrade=
 process while the internet trafic should be low.<br><br>I logged into my a=
dministrator account and ran sudo aptitude update followed by sudo aptitude=
 safe-upgrade.&nbsp=3B There were about 8 packages that were updated and no=
ne listed as "NOT UPGRADABLE."<br><br>After the standard update process com=
pleted=2C from the gnome-terminal=2C I ran sudo do-release-upgrade.&nbsp=3B=
 Every thing started off fine.&nbsp=3B It took about half an hour to downlo=
ad the necessary packages from the repositories.&nbsp=3B I monitored the pr=
ocess for a little while (10-15 minutes) after that: It looked like the sta=
ndard update messages to me ("preparing to replace package version x with p=
ackage version y ...").&nbsp=3B Since the entire process might take afew ho=
urs (Before downloading=2C it said there were over 600 packages to instal a=
nd well over 1=2C000 to upgrade) I decided to stretch my legs a little and =
came back to check on the progress every 15-30 minutes.<br><br>After about =
2 hours=2C orca stopped speaking and I found a small rectangular dialog box=
 in the middle of the screen.&nbsp=3B I wasn't sure if orca just lost focus=
 so first I tried altTabbing to give the dialog focus.&nbsp=3B Nothing seem=
ed to happen.&nbsp=3B I tried bringing up the run dialog to re-launch orca =
(I'm still in gnome-2.22=2C orca randomly stops and I find re-launching it =
manually appears to work)=2C but the run dialog didn't appear to pop up.<br=
=3B To me it looked deep blue=2C and I saw some stuff an the extreme top an=
d bottom of the screen which I assume was the outline of the top and bottom=
 panels.&nbsp=3B I wasn't sure what was going on=2C but the processor sound=
ed like it was still chugging along=2C so I left everything alone until it =
slowed down.<br><br>When the processor sounded like it stopped cranking=2C =
I waited about fifteen minutes and nothing happened.&nbsp=3B i switched to =
text console 1 and logged in.&nbsp=3B I connected my braillenote and attemp=
ted to launch brltty.&nbsp=3B I never recieved any output on the braille di=
splay=2C but I noticed the screen filled with messages.&nbsp=3B They kept c=
oming and coming.&nbsp=3B Visually=2C it looked like when I run an update p=
rocess=3B They had a little bit of variation in length and some popped up q=
uickly while others took longer before the next message joined the queue.&n=
bsp=3B I hoped the release process was still going.&nbsp=3B I stepped back =
before my impationtce got the better of me.&nbsp=3B I came back about every=
 half hour and pressed the control key to reactivate the screen (I'm on a l=
aptop and every thirty or so minutes of inactivity and the screen goes to s=
leep i guess).<br><br>Eventually=2C the screen appeared to stop scrolling.&=
nbsp=3B All the messages stacked up in columns.&nbsp=3B It took another hou=
r before I could get sighted assistance to review what was going on (about =
7 hours from the start of do-release-upgrade).&nbsp=3B I was getting an inf=
inite loop of messagesstating brltty could't open device.&nbsp=3B I had dis=
connected the braillenote a while back to keep it from getting dropped.&nbs=
p=3B I tried reconnecting it=2C but it didn't appear to have any effect.&nb=
sp=3B After another 15 or so minutes=2C I just gave up and pressed the powe=
r button on the laptop and killed everything.<br><br>When i came back to re=
boot=2C I got the regular grub menu (I duel boot with windows XP).&nbsp=3B =
Sighted assistance says the ubunntu entry is 8.04.&nbsp=3B When I trie to l=
aunch buntu I'm not surprised to get a static screen full of messages.<br><=
br>From talking with sighted assistance (who doesn't know linux) it appears=
 a basic shell is launched after several modues nd devices fail to load.&nb=
sp=3B There's no log-in so I presume the users aren't being initialized.&nb=
sp=3B help age a long list of commands that appear to be standard shell com=
mands "cat=2C mount=2C umount=2C &amp=3Bc).<br><br>Before I do anything dra=
stic=2C is there a way to recover?&nbsp=3B from the basic shell=2C can i re=
mount my root an home partitions and either re-start or continue the instal=
lation process?&nbsp=3B or is there at least a way to capture the messages =
(or any other relevant information) say to a text file on a USB stick?<br><=
br>thanks in advance for any suggestions. 		 	   		  <br /><hr />The New Bu=
sy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. <a h=
ref=3D'http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=3Dmultiaccount&o=
cid=3DPID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4' target=3D'_new'>Get =
busy.</a></body>

--_fe662fa0-7825-4db6-9359-705b5bf55fe9_--