upgrading to lucid

Jacob Schmude j.schmude at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 13:59:47 BST 2010

HI Bill
I got bit by this too, going from 9.10 to 10.04. In a nutshell, I've
found that sometimes ubuntu-desktop and some of its associated packages
get removed, though I've not found out why. The solution is, immediately
after doing the dist-upgrade and before you reboot, to sudo apt-get
install ubuntu-desktop. That will put everything back into place, things
like gnome-session-bin and nautilus will be put back in as well after
dist-upgrade somehow autoremoved them. I suspect this is something
update-manager would normally take care of, but I've had my own set of
problems with that approach.
I don't know for certain, but I suspect this also applies to the other
ubuntu meta packages such as ubuntu-netbook. I don't use them though, so
can't say.
I also had a rather hacked system, so who knows if this will happen to
most people. Before now I thought I was the only one who got bit by it
since I didn't see anything like this when searching the Ubuntu forums.
Just to be safe though, always sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop (or
whatever other meta package you use) after a dist-upgrade. It won't hurt
anything anyway.