Speech Dispatcher 0.7 Beta -- Please help with testing

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 01:09:06 BST 2010

I like the socket approach, but I guess your concern may be why Luke
was thinking of using dbus.  Still, a denial of service that requires
users already be logged into the machine is a far smaller security
hole.  Right now, a clever hacker could most likely find a way to
cause one of the less well maintained speech-dispatcher subsystems to
execute arbitrary code, remotely though a wide-open TCP port.  I think
a switch to file sockets is a sensible short-term fix.  One of my
favorite tricks to play on blind guys I'm supporting in Vinux is to
start talking to them through the speech-dispatcher TCP port.  If you
ever let me into a machine on your network, don't be surprised when
your machines running Orca start saying the strangest things!

Bill