April 13, 2010 Meeting Logs

Francesco Fumanti francesco.fumanti at gmx.net
Wed Apr 14 20:33:33 BST 2010

Hi,

I just read rapidly the meeting logs and would like to give a few comments:

Concerning the different accessibility groups, the "mouse controlled computer" might need some refinement: (I am talking here about users that are not able to use a hardware keyboard.)

- Users that can move the pointer and can click. These users are already well served by onboard during GDM and during the desktop session. (Apart some situations, where the onscreen keyboard onboard is not available; for example, when switching to a virtual terminal where they will be stuck.)  These users do not even need at-spi.

- Users that can move the pointer but are not able to click. It is possible for these users to access the computer by using the dwell click provided by mousetweaks. Onboard, in conjunction with the dwell click of mousetweaks provide a solution for these users. Unfortunately, it is not accessible out of the box yet:
-- Currently, it is not possible to start the dwell click during GDM. A patch to change this has been proposed upstream in GNOME, but it has not been included in the release yet.
-- The first time the user enters the desktop session, he has no way to start dwelling without clicking. Either somebody turns it on and leaves it always running, or somebody installs the dwell click applet, that is part of mousetweaks, on the GNOME panel. The dwell click applet offers a button that stars and stops dwelling by hovering with the pointer over it. mousetweaks needs at-spi.

- Users that can only use switches. (no keyboard and no mouse) Though these users are currently targeted by GOK that also counts as an onscreen keyboard (or Caribou that is planned as replacement of GOK in GNOME), I don't see these users as belonging to the mouse controlled computer category; I think that they deserve an own "switch users" category. But maybe, during the meeting the switch users were meant as users that use switches to move the pointer. Unfortunately, I don't really know how switch users control the computer. (Onboard does not provide any switch access.)

Il 14/04/2010 14:37, Luke Yelavich ha scritto:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 09:55:02PM EST, Bill Cox wrote:
>> I'll throw in two more wishes for the next release.  First, can we
>> bind starting Orca to Control+Alt+o, and have it work both at the
>> gdm screen and while logged in?  That way, blind users would be
>> able to start Orca on a public Ubuntu machine.  Second, would it be
>> possible for Control+Alt+o to bring up Orca on the first screen of
>> the Live CD installer, where we ask the user for his language
>> preference?  Now that this is a Gnome dialog, it may be possible.
>> I'm willing to try and get this working if it's just a manpower
>> issue.
>
> Impossible to do unless at-spi is running all the time. I suggest you
> take that up with upstrea if you think it should be run 100% of the
> time in all user GNOME desktops.

Due to incompatibility of at-spi with gksu, I wonder whether it would make sense to create a goal for lucid+1 to eliminate gksu from the distribution. This would at least remove part of the bugs caused by at-spi until at-spi2 takes over. For example, when starting the Synaptic Package Manager from the Administration menu while an application is actively using at-spi, the desktop becomes unresponsive. Some weeks ago, I started a thread about it on the devel discussion list:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2010-March/010770.html

Hoping to have been helpful,

Francesco.