April 13, 2010 Meeting Logs

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 12:55:02 BST 2010

Thanks for the log.  I agree 100% with Luke's goals for the next
release.  If it will help, we can do some early user-testing in Vinux
alpha/beta releases based on the next Ubuntu release.

I'll throw in two more wishes for the next release.  First, can we
bind starting Orca to Control+Alt+o, and have it work both at the gdm
screen and while logged in?  That way, blind users would be able to
start Orca on a public Ubuntu machine.  Second, would it be possible
for Control+Alt+o to bring up Orca on the first screen of the Live CD
installer, where we ask the user for his language preference?  Now
that this is a Gnome dialog, it may be possible.  I'm willing to try
and get this working if it's just a manpower issue.

I think with Lucid Ubuntu has matched the best of the major Linux
distros in terms of a11y, but with the changes proposed by Luke, it
will have a clear lead.  Kudos to Luke and the rest of the a11y team
for an outstanding job on Lucid!

Bill