Interesting Lucid regression

Nolan Darilek nolan at thewordnerd.info
Tue Apr 13 21:19:51 BST 2010

Just took the plunge to Lucid today and am mostly impressed. It is
hands-down the fastest release yet WRT speech. Furthermore, I'm glad
that Thunderbird 3.0 is finally included, as I was running from the
Mozilla daily PPA to get accessible 64-bit builds, which wasn't ideal
for several reasons. I'm noticing an interesting regression, however.

I installed Lucid on my netbook and everything went fine. I then
installed it on my desktop, and now some formerly accessible things
aren't, and some things that supposedly aren't accessible are. Let me
explain.

If I press alt-f2 I get nothing spoken. Alt-tabbing away and back speaks
"Run application inaccessible." But I can't get anything to speak.

If I press ctrl-alt-tab, I hear "top expanded edge panel inaccessible.
Menubar." So immediately after telling me that it is inaccessible, Orca
reads the contents just fine. I can also tab around and get speech
feedback, more or less, with the exception of other regressions and
issues that have been noted here previously.

The main application menu is also inaccessible. I can't arrow around,
hear things spoken, etc.

Interestingly enough, I don't seem to experience any of these issues on
my desktop. The major difference between the two is that the desktop is
64-bit while the netbook is only 32. Is there a 64-bit regression with
some packages currently?

Thanks.