In future, not possible accept international keyboard combinations with now Disabled importanter GNOME keyboard shortcuts if accessible install is happening with access=v3 option?

Hammer Attila hammera at pickup.hu
Mon Apr 12 08:03:06 BST 2010

Dear List,

Few days ago, Bill Cox, Anthony Sales and me talking following bigger
longer time purpose:
Now, when not accessibility specialized accessible Ubuntu based
distributions installation is happening with access=v3 option (screen
reader mode), lot of GNOME keyboard shortcuts is default disabled. We
have got some ydea, with we don't no the Ubuntu-accessibility community
accepts or not accepts:
In longer time, possible very good purpose do international talked
default define standard keyboard shortcuts with the default disabled
GNOME keybindings:
The big advantage with this purpose:
In future, if a visual impaired user installing any Ubuntu based
distribution with access=v3 option, this international standardized
keystrokes setting during installation the target system, so, the
keyboard shortcuts is equals with all Ubuntu based distributions if
screen reader mode choosed during installation, independent the used
language and used keyboard layout if this is possible.
The minimal ydea standard keystrokes is following:
1. Now, in gnome-keybinding-properties preference tool, in accessibility
section have following keybinding shortcut names:
Toggle Screen Reader, Toggle Magnifyer, Toggle On-screen Keyboard. Need
add following item:
Launch Orca. This item is now missing. This new added keybinding command
in future need run orca --replace command, and need define for example
following general keystroke with this new item during installation with
target system: Ctrl+Alt+o
So, when this is happening, have a standard keystroke to restart Orca
with any time with all Ubuntu based distributions.
Luke, what GNOME module developers need do this feature request to add
this now missing keybinding command name?

2. Need define importanter compiz-related disabled keybindings for
example with Super+any keyboard commands, this is importanter with
Compiz magnifyer users I think, but I not using Compiz magnifyer. Bill,
complete you this part with your ydea?

The bigger ydea, this is optional if the Ubuntu Accessibility community
want:
I think need define international standard keystrokes with following
keybinding command names, this command names already part of
gnome-keybinding-properties preference tool (not need do any feature
request with GNOME developers), but now not defined any keybinding by
default:
Following keystrokes is only example keystrokes, based on Vinux actual
keybindings list with GNOME section:
Toggle fullscreen mode
     Control + Shift + F
Toggle maximization state
     Control + Shift + X
Maximise window vertically
     Control + Shift + A
Maximise window horizontally
     Control + Shift + Z
Launch calculator
     Control + Shift + L
Launch e-mail client
     Control + Shift + E
Launch web browser
     Control + Shift + W
Home folder
     Control + Shift + H
run terminal
     Control + Shift + T (I think now this command in Ubuntu default
defined with Control+Alt+t)
Note: I think need change the launch terminal and launch web browser
example keybinding with Ctrl+Alt based keystroke, because ctrl+Shift+t
is defined opening a new tab with gnome-terminal, and Ctrl+Shift+w
keyboard combination closes the new tab in gnome-terminal by default.

The technical specification with do this fix is very easy:
This keybinding setting during installation is easy to do. When need
define this international talked standard keystrokes during
installation, in casper source package the
ubiquity-hooks/30accessibility script in blindness profile section, this
is easy to do when script do accessibility related configurations with
target system.
For example, I welcome working this fix with next developing cicle, if
have a general Ubuntu-accessibility community accept keystroke list.

Of course, this is longer time purpose if the Ubuntu-accessibility
community accept this ydea (solid or bigger ydea), with sure possible do
with next or next+1 Ubuntu final version.

I hope this feature realizing with any developing cicle, but I absolute
agree if the community not want this standardization.

Attila