How's Karmic these days?

Nolan Darilek nolan at thewordnerd.info
Thu Oct 22 00:20:32 BST 2009

Hi Luke and all.

Thanks for the work on Ubuntu accessibility. I know that it isn't easy,
and it's something I'd like to chip in and help with. I'm a bit short on
computing resources at the moment (using a netbook full time since
February, and apparently the desktop I got just a week ago has hardware
issues so it's retired for now) but I do hope to get involved when I can.

Two  points. First, if you're the only Canonical employee doing
accessibility work, I think that should be fixed. I know that they're
not a profitable company at the moment (do correct me if I'm wrong) but
this is important, and you shouldn't be alone. If funds can be spared
for Iatana(SP?) then it seems like accessibility should be a bit more
prioritized. Is there any way we as a community can make that happen? I
can't necessarily fix bugs, but if it's just a matter of voicing these
concerns to the right person, I'm happy to help with that. If Ubuntu
aims to ship a UI experience on par with that of OS X, as I think I've
read before, then solid accessibility needs to be a part of that, and
that's a lot for one pair of shoulders.

Second, I've been using Orca/SD for the past year or so, and must admit
to being a bit disappointed by the idea that it's shipping as the
default setup in Ubuntu, particularly as it sounds like the crashing
issue isn't going to be fixed. It seems a bit hasty to make such grand
experiments if there's not some degree of certainty that a shipping
default will be stable. And yes, I know that there are things that can
make the situation less painful. I'm running xbindkeys and have
restarted SD at least a dozen times during the course of typing this,
using the hotkey I've set up for that purpose. Mind you, I've chosen
this setup because ALSA alone has issues on this netbook, but will any
new user know that xbindkeys is available? And will Karmic ship with a
major subsystem crrasher which we'll have to wait for Lucid, or Lucid+X,
to see fixed?

Hopefully my view on the state of things is overly negative, but the
"userbase as experimental subjects" model of Ubuntu (first with PA and
now with SD) worries me.

Thanks again for the hard work, even if I worry about its direction at
times.

--
Nolan Darilek
http://thewordnerd.info