How's Karmic these days?

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 21 22:59:12 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 08:46:26AM EST, Bill Cox wrote:
> Sorry guys, I know there's some of you out there who actually work on
> Ubuntu accessibility, but the current state sucks.  I certainly hope
> Ubuntu decides at some point to make accessibility a priority.

I can understand why, as a user, you feel that way. Unfortunately I am the only one so far as I know of, actively working on improving Ubuntu's accessibility, and while I do as much as I can to make things work as well as they can, I have other matters that I need to attend to, due to working for Canonical and being responsible for other parts of the desktop as well, so I can only do so much in the time I allocate for accessibility work.

Unfortunately the speech-dispatcher crasher is at the moment, somewhat beyond my current skills to debug, although learning valgrind will likely help me get better with sed debugging, and hopefully get rid of the speech-dispatcher crash.

So if you really want Ubuntu's accessibility to get better, I urge you to consider helping out in whatever way you can, even if its only filing and triaging bugs, thats something. The more bugs that are in a triaged state, the less work I have to do, and the more bugs I can attempt to fix.

I hope you all understand, and will do what you can to help.

Regards
Luke