speech-dispatcher + alsa +pulseaudio = noises

Luke Yelavich themuso at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 12 22:14:45 GMT 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 04:54:17AM EST, jose vilmar estacio de souza wrote:
> Hi all,
> I tried the following experiment in karmic.
>
> 1. I changed the file ~/.pulse/client.conf.
> from
>   autospawn = no
> autospawn = yes
>
> 2. I changed the file ~/.speech-dispatcher/conf/speechd.conf.
> from
> #AudioOutputMethod "pulse,alsa"
> AudioOutputMethod "alsa"
>
> 3. Reboot.
>
> No speech from orca, only noises.
> All sounds are ok.
> Any idea?

This is due to speech-dispatcher's alsa output code not using the ALSA API correctly, and thereby does not work properly through the plugin system to allow audio to be sent via the pulse plugin to pulseaudio.

The best thing to do is to use the alsa output only for use with alsa alone. I intend to fix the pulseaudio output code for lucid.

Luke