A new user with some ubuntu questions.

Peter Torpey ptorpey at rochester.rr.com
Sun Nov 8 15:56:36 GMT 2009

Sandy,

If you are a new Linux user, you might want to try the Vinux distribution of
Linux.  This was specifically put together with accessibility concerns in
mind.

Although Ubuntu can be used with speech and a magnifier, performance with
speech seems to be somewhat erratic and unreliable.  Also, with Ubuntu , it
is a bit tricky to access the administrative applications and more
customizations might be needed to make it work the way you would like.

Vinux should be much more robust with speech and includes applications which
work well with speech without a lot of customization by the user.  You can
find out more about the Binux project and download the installer at the URL:

http://vinux.org.uk

Good luck.

--Pete